Thursday, December 13, 2012

What Your Holiday Card Photo Says About You

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but the one you include in your holiday greetings need only be worth two, maybe three, tops:

"Merry Christmas!"
"Happy Hanukkah!"
"Seasons Greetings!"
"Happy New Year!"

But, let's be honest. When picking the perfect holiday photo, the message we're all attempting to blast is: "Are we the perfect family, or what?"

It should come as no surprise then that many families overcompensate and choose several photos to get the message across. If one photo doesn't do the trick, certainly a collage of smiling faces should, right?

Maybe perfection just isn't my thing. After all, my family isn't perfect. In fact, we're far from it. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sure, when my boys were little, I made a weak attempt to dress them in holiday garb. I had hoped that it would make up for the fact that I couldn't get a single photo of them all smiling at once.

Take Exhibit A here. One child is hamming it up, one is bored, one is overdue for a nap and one is in a box. But, seeing that their clothes are so dang adorable, does any of that really matter?

I. Think. Not.

Through the years, I've abandoned the holiday-themed attire and selected instead any picture that had all of my guys in it. It didn't matter if it was taken in August for the first day of school or in October when they were hunting for pumpkins or raking leaves. All I needed was evidence that there were, at one point, doing something together.

One thing I have not done is the destination photo. You know, those cards. The ones in which, behind  a groups' entitled grins, you can spy palm trees and surf or catch a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower or Big Ben.

But it's not for lack of trying. The one of us all sitting around the table for breakfast at Paul Bunyan's up in the Wisconsin Dells? Two of us are blinking and three are not even looking at the camera. And that one of us gathered, most ecstatically, in the middle of Main Street USA in Disney world? Camera strap right through the middle of the shot.

Oh well, maybe this year's will be the best so far. The matching Santa cardigans should be arriving any day now...

1 comment:

  1. I'm smiling at the thought of your gang in matching Santa cardigans. They'd all be adorable.

    ReplyDelete