Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My Dog Ate My Blog

Okay, well, that's a lie. I don't even have a dog, but I had to come up with a really good reason for being away for so long, right?

Loyal readers, you know I'm an exceptionally busy girl. Five boys, a full-time job, aging parents, a dark chocolate habit to fund, 8ks to run. These things all take time. Lots and lots of time.

Oh, and did I mention I wrote another book?

It's a contemporary romance called "Fatty Mattie and the Comeback Kid."

What's it about?

I thought you'd never ask! Here's how I pitched it to three agents, three editors and one publisher at a recent writing convention:

When a jilted journalist with an unhealthy affinity for comfort food demands a raise, 
she instead gets assigned to cover the Chicago Marathon - as a participant. 
Her coach? None other than a local running legend who also 
happens to be her ex-fiance's identical twin - the same 
man whom she and the sheriff's department held 
responsible for his absence at the altar. 
Just how far will this unlikely duo be 
willing to go to regain what 
they lost at the wedding 
that wasn't? 

26.2 miles to be exact.

"So, what do you think?" the absentee blogger asks the best readers ever as she nibbles away at her already short fingernails.

Before you reply, did I happen to mention that the three agents, three editors and one publisher found it "intriguing." Some asked me to send them the first three chapters; some even asked for the full manuscript.

That was six weeks ago. Since then, I've been trying to keep busy, but still - I check my cell phone every half hour or so to make sure I didn't miss THE CALL. You know the one. It goes kind of like this:

me: "Hello?"
agent/editor: "Is this the new breakout novelist I'm hoping to sign?"
me: "Why, yes. As a matter of fact, it is."

...and that's about as far as my imagination will take me before I start hyperventilating.

While I am a firm believer that my most potent plate-spinning super power is patience, I have been tapping into my dwindling reserve on a daily basis. Good thing I have an ever-lengthy to-do list to distract me while I await THE CALL. Even New York Times bestselling authors have laundry to clean, children to feed and printer cartridges to replace, right?

At least I don't have a dog that needs walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment